PIERS Morgan has called for China to be punished for mass manslaughter if the lab leak theory proves to be true.
The TV firebrand has hit out amid growing suspicions that Wuhan Institute of Virology engineered the virus to be more deadly before it escaped and globally killed millions of people.
Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest updates
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Covid-19 has infected 172,457,078 and killed 3,707,631 people worldwide.
Last week, a bombshell study claimed Chinese scientists created Covid-19 in the lab before orchestrating an elaborate cover-up when it leaked out.
The report alleges that China then reverse-engineered versions of the disease to make it seem like it was naturally sourced from bats.
In light of this, Piers asked in his column for the Daily Mail whether Donald Trump right all along about a Covid-19 leak and cover-up?
It comes as:
- No new countries were added to the green list
- Seven countries including Egypt, Afghanistan and Costa Rica were added to the red list
- Brits scrambled to refund their flights to Portugal
- Families head to Greece despite the Government’s amber warning – as one Brit mum says ‘my kids deserve a holiday’
- Heathrow finally opens a separate red list terminal after weeks of India arrivals mixing with others in long border queues
- Holidaymakers will be hit with soaring prices if green list additions are ‘kept secret’, says an airport boss
- Brits are now banned from entering France unless they have ‘compelling’ reason to stop spread of Indian variant
- Back in Britain people have been enjoying a mini-heatwave as Brits flocked to beaches and hotspots to soak up the sun
Piers said “very uncomfortable questions now gathering ferocious momentum” after President Joe Biden ordered a new 90-day investigation into the outbreak to “redouble their efforts” in determining the truth.
He said: “This is potentially shaping up to be the biggest scandal and mass manslaughter case in modern history.
“If China knew the virus erupted from one of its labs, either accidentally or nefariously, and then covered it up to the world, how should it be punished?”
Beijing’s credibility in this crisis, he said, was already severely damaged from the start because of its refusal to be transparent.
He said: “Since then, Chinese officials have continued to spread disinformation in a desperate effort to avoid blame, even suggesting that Covid-19 could have started in myriad other countries from Italy and India to the US or arrived in China via frozen food.”
And if the lab virus engineering and lab leak theory proved true, Piers asked, where would it leave the reputation of top White House virus expert Dr Anthony Fauci?
He said Dr Fauci has dismissed the theory while having “potentially conflicting ties to China’s top scientists and the very lab under suspicion”.